Friday, September 18, 2009

Three things I never knew before coming BD Somani

REFLECTION

As a child I never really understood the reality of the things and people that I awed the most. For me science is something that is fascinating however now I realise how limited science really is. In the sense the discovery of science has ultimately led to reality being lost. I was told ever since 6th grade when I started learning momentum that all a object only has momentum if it has a mass and speed. This is however negated now. Photons are small particle like substances that have zero mass yet still have momentum. This is covered by relativity. However this relativity opposes everything that we learn from the 1st to 10th grade. Even Newton’s three laws of motion are proved wrong via relativity.
Another pre misconception I had was that the leader of the Weimer Republic Gustav Stresemann, from the 1923-1929 period, was a very loyal and morally forthright figure. This is because all the history textbooks portray him as to be so. The truth behind him however is that while he portraying to the Western nations that Germany was this weak disarmed nation, in USSR German soldiers were being trained with the most modern equipment available.
Another notion of mine that was broken was the image of how benevolent the Banana Fruit Company of the USA really was. I had watched a documentary on the Banana Massacre and being from the USA point of view, it seemed much more of the fault of the South Americans. This view was broken after reading One Hundred Years of Solitude through which the magnitude of the massacre was shown to me without any propaganda or gain behind it.

1 comment: